Sunday, September 25, 2011

Find Yourself.. Don't Settle

Many people have no idea what they want to do with their life. They just accept whatever they get. Work at any job that comes their way even if they hate it. Marry the first person that comes along just because it is an available option. I did that for a little while. I hated it!! I had no idea who I was, what I liked, or even what I wanted. I settled for whatever came along. When in university I studied accounting! The most boring subject because people pushed me to do it. When I graduated I worked at a bank; I have to say I had never been more stressed and bored. Bored, not only with my work but also with who I had turned into. I woke up every morning dreading the fact that I had to go into work. I fell asleep one night with a single thought in my head "no amount of money is worth me feeling the way I feel everyday".


I woke up, and quit!

I had decided then and there that I wanted to do something in fashion. I love clothes, shoes, and finding amazing stores that no one had even heard of. Finding items that were unique. I loved colours lots of colour in my life, and sketching in the mornings-a cup of coffee in my hand with the windows open and the cool breeze coming in. All of which I couldn't do if I were still at my old job. Where I couldn't leave my desk for long enough to get myself a decent cup of coffee, I couldn't open the windows of my dark, dingy, grey office as they were nailed shut!! 

Suddenly I was free. I could breath. I could explore what I wanted to do with my life! It was so scary but an invigorating feeling rushed through me. I was scared of the idea of being penniless; my pride wouldn't allow me to ask my parents for any money. Luckily I've saved up a little, and could live on it until another job or opportunity came along. This time I would be more picky about what I chose.

It's an amazing time in my life! A great opportunity to reinvent myself. The self I once lost..

No comments:

Post a Comment